Save BIG on Healthy Foods You Already Buy
Do you like to save money on food like I do?
When I visit my mom in Bend, Oregon each year, I go through this ritual about food with her. She doesn’t realize it’s a ritual, but it is. It bugged me at first and now it just makes me chuckle.
FIRST, I tell her I’m coming to visit. (She’s 82 and permanently tethered to an oxygen tank with a cord that we do our best not to trip on). She looks forward to our visits for the company, for the grocery (coupon) errands we can run and for the tidying up that we do that she can’t manage now.
THEN, the food ritual starts. She says, “Please remember not to bring too much food into the house like you usually do. You always leave stuff in the refrigerator that I don’t know what to do with.”
I say, “You could try the few things I don’t get to and see if you might like them.” You can imagine how that always goes over. Insert smiley face here. She just rolls her eyes on the other end, knowing I always buy what I always buy and eat what I always eat. More on what that is in a bit…
The day of my trip, I make a list of things I want to get at Trader Joes when I fly in. I have a local gal who picks me up and takes me to TJ’s on the way to my mom’s from the airport. She’s a doll to stop since my mom doesn’t have a car for me to drive around anymore and I don’t need one while I’m there since I have a bike in her garage now.
I gather up the usual suspects…nuts, coconut milk, weird veggies (as she calls them) like kale and collards, organic eggs, raw cheese…all of the things I normally get minus a lot of things I also eat that I later grab via bike and backpack at the little health food store about 2 miles from her home.
I know, you’re still wondering where the saving big on health foods parts comes in…I’m getting to that part:-).
Enter ThriveMarket.com! I LOVE this website.
ThriveMarket.com is like Whole Foods meets Costo without the expensive prices and the trip to Costo (ick). The result is that we save and don’t have to waste our gas to go find the deals. I love it.
You see, I have been a ‘health food’ junkie since I was 18 and I’m 57 now. I’m not about to change at this point even though I have refined what I eat to only whole foods. Over the years, even health food manufacturers have gotten into the boxed, “not food” food. I lean toward the body liking a few foods at one time so things that contain a lot of processed foods (yes, even lots of health food is processed) don’t make it into my shopping basket.
This year, a new online health food store called Thrive Market showed up and I LOVE IT!
Why I love Thrive Market
- I save a LOT (and I mean a lot) of money on things I already buy. Things like coconut milk with no guar gum (yuk) and Acure shampoo, conditioner and lotion (which my hair and skin likes big time), Sun Potion products and more.
- There is no shipping on orders over $49 and for me, that’s easy. I place an order every 5-6 weeks of about $75 and I always save at least $15-20 dollars on my orders.
- You can try the site for 30 days and you get 15% off your first order. I took serious advantage of this first order as you might imagine being that I’m the Financial Literacy Lady.
- When the products arrive, they come in a very sturdy box and everything is incredibly well packed. I have placed 6-7 orders so far and everything has arrived in great condition and shipped quickly.
- The site has a built in affiliate system so when you fall in love with it like I have, you can tell your friends and when they fall in love with it, you are rewarded. Affiliate marketing is a great way to make a little extra income but only do it on items or programs that you use yourself and really love.
I’ll be sharing more ways to save our hard earned money in the future but if you’re anything like me, you spend a good percentage of your income of healthy food so let’s save money, be rewarded and eat well all at the same time. I think this is what we call a win, win, win for everyone.